Sunday, December 2, 2007

Shocking

I know you'll be shocked by this. I know I am:

The NYT off-leads on reports that corruption has reached epidemic proportions in Iraq: Bribery and petty crime are a way of life, and virtually everything the government buys or sells can now be found on the black market. Meanwhile, U.S. officials say one-third of what they spend on Iraqi contracts and grants goes unaccounted for; an estimated $18 billion has gone missing from Iraqi government coffers since 2004. "Everyone is stealing from the state," says one Shiite leader. "It's a very large meal, and everyone wants to eat."
I'm so far past outrage it's pathetic, especially when I get into an online argument discussion with a conservative about using taxpayer dollars to bail out homeowners facing foreclosure.

No comments: