Friday, October 5, 2007

I Got Sucked In

When I first read this, I thought "hey that sounds like a good idea"! Then my friends at Slate helped me see the light:

Pharmacists, drug companies, and, presumably, patients, like the idea of behind-the-counter drugs, which exist in several countries. As could be expected, doctors aren't too keen on the idea and say it could be dangerous. An open question is whether insurance companies would cover these medicines since they don't usually pay for over-the-counter drugs and their decision could be a deciding factor on whether the proposed program is succesful.
Gee, I wonder which way the insurance companies would fall? For that matter, I wouldn't be surprise if this isn't their idea.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

I hadn't considered that either. I wish we could eliminate the health insurance industry altogether. As Michael Moore points out there is no insurance go-between for fire or police protection. Why should health care be any different?