Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Rambling Thoughts

I've only got a couple for the time being.

First, the whole MoveOn/Rush Limbaugh dust-up is rather tiring. I understand why it's happening, and I don't blame liberals for fighting fire with fire. I just think it's too bad that all the hyperbole surrounding both issues actually works and is even necessary.

Second, will the religious right run a third party candidate? If I were them I would. The odds of a Republican winning the 2008 Presidential election are dim and dimming, no matter what the religious nutbars right does. The RR routinely threatens to split the conservatives, then doesn't. Put another way, the threat is getting pretty empty. But why not carry it out this time? You get the benefit of carrying out the threat during an election cycle where it may not matter much.

There is one downside to going third party for the RR. A very weak showing would go a long way towards burying the myth of the religious right's influence on 2000 and 2004. But this would seem to be a small risk, at least according to the nutbars religious right leaders who think they have a very large following.

No comments: