Saturday, January 5, 2008

Iowa and Onward

I've not written anything about Iowa or it's results yet. Partly the reason is because I think Iowa's importance is a bit overblown. But having said that, there did seem to be a "populist" sentiment in the vote outcome.

On the Republican side, I don't think Huckabee is going anywhere. He's a regional candidate that appealed to a strong religious right sector of Iowa conservatives at a time when they have no one else. I think he'll now fade fast. However, Romney's thumping really does strengthen McCain's hand.

On the Democratic side, I think that Kucinich and Richardson(?) torpedoed Edwards by recommending their second choice caucus voters go for Obama. Not sure why they did that, but it certainly made a difference in the outcome. The media is eating up an "Obama momentum" theme, but I think it was really an inside job on Edwards. Either way, it did the trick and Obama has momentum. For me, Obama's win was like kissing your cousin. Obama's not Hillary, but he's also not Edwards.

Oh well, onward to New Hampshuuurrr ...... where I'll predict (barring someone farts on stage during the debates tonight) a McCain win and a very very close race between Hillary and Obama.

No comments: