Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Coup

From ThinkProgress:

National Review is on a roll. Here’s columnist Thomas Sowell: “When I see the worsening degeneracy in our politicians, our media, our educators, and our intelligentsia, I can’t help wondering if the day may yet come when the only thing that can save this country is a military coup.” Kevin Drum writes, “in case you’re wondering, there’s no further context. That’s the whole quote. It’s one bullet point in a long series of dyspeptic observations about how liberals have ruined the country.”
Keep in mind that this periodical is one of the most widely read and respected right-wing rags in the country.

I think Sowell makes one (of many) mistakes in his thinking. Who in the military would agree that Bush or the right-wing is their savior? I would think that at this point it's even money that a coup would be to remove Bush, not to install conservatives.

Either way, I'm now waiting patiently (without holding my breath) for the media outcry that such a suggestion would be made by a pundit. Oh. I'm sorry. That's right. Pundits don't chastize right-wingers, only liberal dirty hippies.

No comments: