Thursday, June 7, 2007

Screwing the American

CSI found that the number of vehicle models sold in the United States that achieve combined gas mileage of at least 40 miles per gallon actually has dropped from five in 2005 to just two in 2007 — the Honda Civic hybrid and the Toyota Prius hybrid.

Overseas, primarily in Europe, there are 113 vehicles for sale that get a combined 40 mpg, up from 86 in 2005. Combined gas mileage is the average of a vehicle’s city and highway mpg numbers.

Adding insult to injury is the fact that nearly two-thirds of the 113 highly fuel-efficient models that are unavailable to American consumers are either made by U.S.-based automobile manufacturers or by foreign manufacturers with substantial U.S. sales operations, such as Nissan and Toyota.
source

This is the result of allowing corporations to control the government. We are being screwed. Big time.

5 comments:

Greyhair said...

But look at how lucky we are to have easy, cheap access to all those hummers and SUV's!

Lynne said...

I'd give anything if I could afford a hybrid. It's getting to the point where it may even out for me to take a job closer to home at $10 per hour.

Oh, that would mean I pay less taxes. Shame, that.

Greyhair said...

Lynne, Whenever I advocate for higher gas prices I think of you knowing it's going to nail you in the pocketbook. You and many millions of others.

I wish you could afford a hybrid too. The good news is that Prius's haven't been selling well lately and have been improving in price. Might be worth a look. Plus, as more are made the price may drop.

Lynne said...

Oddly enough, I'm for higher gas prices also. Even though it is eating my lunch, grabbing people by the wallet seems to be the only thing that actually drags their attention away from American Idol.
I may start looking into a used Prius, if I can find one.

Lynne said...

Also, I'm guessing the reason Prius's haven't been selling lately is that, like me, people can't afford a new car at all. I'd be interested in knowing how used cars are selling.