Monday, November 5, 2007

Green May Be In Trouble

So I'm sitting there last night enjoying a Sunday Night Football Game. I should say trying to enjoy. The inane commentary and smug right-wing Al Michaels are quite annoying .... but I digress.

At halftime, the commentators come on sitting in darkness. It's all part of pushing a Today Show bit this week on global warming. They claim that having the lights off in the studio is saving enough electricity to power a whole bunch of homes.

Swell. Only in America.

I guess this falls in the category of any exposure is good exposure, but I'm not sure. It was obviously a stunt and the sports types all seemed to be making more fun of the whole thing than making any kind of serious appeal.

That'll play well with the under thirty testosterone laden types that watch the NFL.

As green moves into being the new cool fad (I can just see Paris Hilton running around with "green" sunglasses soon), I'm going to have to hold my nose a lot. Like a lot of fads in America, the popularization of a topic often is the beginning of it's passing. An issue like global warming and CO2 emissions is not a short term fad issue. It's a long haul that will include some (who knows just how much) economic pain and a whole lot of lifestyle change. And trust me, these changes will be a bit more dramatic than Bob Costas joking in the dark at halftime of an NFL game.

No comments: