Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Bible School

Here's the latest challenge by the religious right nutbars:

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas schools would be able to offer elective courses on the Bible under legislation tentatively adopted Tuesday in the House.

The measure, which was approved by a voice vote, was a watered-down version of Republican Rep. Warren Chisum's original proposal. That plan would have required Bible courses to be taught as an elective in all Texas high schools rather than making it optional.
I'm really ambivalent about this. First off and just on principle, religious training has no business in the public schools. On the other hand, I have no problem with religious education in the schools provided that all religions are taught. I don't know it for a fact, but I doubt that this bill is religious education. On to the Supremes if the governor signs it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not ambivilent at all. Religious texts should stay out of school. Period. I don't trust ANYONE to "teach bible" without a bias. This is sponsored state religion, plain and simple.
I'm getting rabid on the subject.
Lynne (too lazy to sign back in)