Thursday, July 12, 2007

Interesting Wrinkle If You Like Dictators

What if Congress held Miers in contempt, and you then had a Federal court contempt hearing and no one showed up?

Harriet Miers, the former White House counsel, refused to appear before Congress. The current White House counsel said Miers had "absolute immunity" from testifying and the president told her not to show up. The LAT emphasizes the Justice Department's legal opinion that says Miers, and possibly other senior officials, don't have to answer the subpoenas, which puts into question whether it would prosecute any officials if Congress were to hold them in contempt.
I didn't realize it, but I guess Congress depends on the Department of Justice to carry the legal water whenever they pass a contempt resolution. So what happens if the DOJ refuses? It may be a "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" with Abu Gonzales now covering Bush's back. Do you think this may play a small part in Bush keeping Abu in his job?

It looks to me like Congress is going to have to pass legislation to remove the DOJ from the executive branch. As an independent agency, it could then uphold the law. But what are the odds of that happening, particularly in the short term? Bush has a great "play out the clock" game going. My personal Republican watch continues. Just how much small pieces will Republicans allow Bush to tear the Constitution and our government traditions?

Finally, the more events unfold the clearer it is that the only way to stop Bush will be impeachment. And even then I'm not sure he'll stop unless he's also convicted and forcibly removed from office. I warned long ago about the dangers of cornering a narcissist. I'm sad to say that I was right about Bush, his narcissism, and the lengths he'll go to take care of himself without any sense of conscience.

Update: As usual, Digby says it better than I. But surprisingly Digby still misses the key point. If the Federal prosecutor refuses to take Congresses contempt case to court, what does Congress do then?

No comments: