Saturday, June 23, 2007

Beautiful Eyes

I may be an old fogie, but I think this is just wrong:

Because apparently you're never too young to need a little cosmetic enhancement, Mattel has announced that it will start a makeup line targeting young girls. In the wake of the company's recently launched Barbie-themed online social networking Web site, which raised concerns that it put young girls at risk of sexual predation, the toy maker says it is partnering with cosmetics line Bonne Bell to create a "girl-savvy retail delivery." (How else is Barbie supposed to keep up with the Bratz?)
I've been wondering whatever happened to feminism? You know, love me for who I am not for how I look? It seems that young girls are being sexualized at a younger and younger age (can you say JonBenet Ramsey?). The article sites the a woman can absorb up to five pounds of chemicals each year from daily makeup use, but what about the impacts on these young girls and their self-images? I remember some of the rites of passage for my sister, wearing mascara, wearing nylons and such as that and that these things meant that she was achieving womanhood. Do we really want that to happen to five year olds?

No comments: